Prosthodontics is one of only 9 dental specialties within the field of dentistry where experience and special training in the restoration and replacement of teeth play a major role in creating the function and esthetics necessary to have a healthy mouth and beautiful smile. Prosthodontists are the dental care experts who help keep teeth looking their best while giving people beautiful smiles and by fixing common dental issues. After completing the standard four years of dental school, those who want to become Prosthodontists go on to get an extra three years of specialized training. Prosthodontics is a certified niche of the dental industry and is among the nine officially recognized dental specialties of the American Dental Association. Prosthodontists are equipped with the special skill sets that are needed to restore smiles and maintain dental health and wellness and to keep teeth looking and functioning their very best.
Replacing Lost Teeth
The loss of any of your natural teeth, whether from a traumatic event or as part of normal aging, can be distressing and painful. It affects your looks and your confidence. When dental issues become really serious it affects normal events like eating and talking. It is cases like these that prosthodontists specialize in to give you back a healthy smile.
- Crowns, bridges, dentures, snap on dentures, veneers, dental implants, all on 4, teeth in a day, difficult color matching, life like temporaries, severely worn teeth, complicated bite issues, TMD and any complicated restorative dental procedure are just some of the areas where a prosthodontist has the training to help increase function, and improve physical appearance and overall self-confidence.
- Another option that is available for dental health when it comes to correcting missing or damaged teeth are dental implants. Dental implants have become even more predictable, natural looking, and affordable. Thanks to a prosthodontists additional years of specialized training, patients can expect more desirable outcomes when having complicated cases.
- Whether one tooth or many teeth need to be replaced, a prosthodontist is able to help with a vast range of dental issues and will handle every step of the process- from opening consultation, collecting appropriate information, diagnosis, treatment planning, superior treatment and thorough follow-up care.
Cosmetic / Esthetic Dentistry
Studies have shown that a healthy smile has a surprisingly significant effect on a person’s self-esteem. A surprising number of people in this country have said that they are at least a little unhappy with the look of their teeth. These are the individuals who will want to consult a prosthodontist. Prosthdontists are the dental care experts who can improve the appearance of damaged, broken, misshapen, or weak teeth. Some of the procedures they offer include:
- Placing crown / caps onto teeth to improve their appearance and strength
- Placing veneers on the surface of teeth in order to conceal defects and improve looks
- Using advanced bonding technology to change teeth shape and fill in gaps
- Bleaching and whitening services to improve the look of discolored teeth
- Life like dentures
- Dental Implants to replace missing teeth
- Dentures: conventional and All on 4 implant supported denture
What is a Board Certified Prosthodontist??
Some Prosthodontists have chosen to continue their pursuit of excellence and go through an additional rigorous and time consuming process to acquire their Board Certification. The sanctioning body known as the American board of prosthodontist regulates and bestows the honor of Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontist (Board Certification). Upon completion of case presentation and passing the Prothodontic board exam, certification is achieved. A prosthodontist that has gone through this process demonstrates a high level of commitment and passion.
Dental Help When You Need it
If you are in need of some specialized help with your oral health or if you are in need of any cosmetic or reconstructive dental work, then make an appointment to speak with a prosthodontist in your area. As American Dental Association recognized and regulated specialists, prosthodontists are the dental care experts who are fully qualified to offer the best of the best when it comes to state-of-the-art cosmetic dentistry procedures and rejuvenating techniques. Rigorous training and experience is required and this is what provides prosthodontists with their unique understanding of complex dental care. These are the experts who can help you with the preservation of your natural teeth and maintain a healthy mouth. Contact your local Elmhurst board certified prosthodontists at Kopp Dental today and fall in love with your teeth once again!