In 2009, American Dental Association surveyed nearly 65 percent of dentists and they responded that they believe dental technicians and laboratories are regulated in their state. This is NOT THE CASE. In fact, only four states in the United States require either certification or continuing education. (National Association of Dental Laboratories ) In Illinois, dental labs are not required to register. The close relationship between our doctors and our American based labs ensure that we have more control over the products we use on our patients. This is highly important to us.
Many labs in foreign countries such as China, Mexico, and the Philippines are vying for business with American dentists. In Elmhurst, IL, Kopp Dental lab work provides the best care because it comes from nearby American based labs. We have established a close, long-term relationship with our labs.
We also have an on-site lab that we work closely with on many anterior and cosmetic cases. Our removable lab gives us the ability to offer emergency services and repairs to our patients at an affordable cost. You can count on your Chicago area family & cosmetic dentists at Kopp Dental to only use American-made lab work including crowns and porcelain veneers in all of our dental care.
Foreign Laboratory Facts to Consider
- There are no regulations for offshore labs to identify where dental restorations are fabricated.
- Dentists are not mandated to disclose working with an offshore lab, nor do patients see a price reduction if offshore labs are used.
- FDA regulations of off-shore labs are limited to their authorized importer status, not their infection-control standards used in production methods or their content.
- Several offshore labs list ISO 9001 certification to enhance their perceived quality, but ISO 9001 is only a procedural standard which does not indicate a higher quality product.
- Barriers of distance, language and culture may seriously impair the necessary details required to design a perfect restoration for the patient.
- Several skilled dental technicians live in our Chicago land area, so our Kopp Dental doctors leverage local expertise that is best for our patients.