SLEEP APNEA TREATMENT
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Does irritability or fatigue seem to take over your whole day because of countless nights of restless sleep? Obstructive sleep apnea, a serious sleep disorder, may be standing between you and a good night’s rest, exposing you to serious health risks. What is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)? OSA happens when the soft structures and airway in the deep throat collapse and become obstructed, stopping air admission inside the lungs. This blockage reduces the oxygen from reaching the brain and the body, which can result in abnormal pauses in breathing and provoke loud snoring.
The Symptoms and Risks of OSA
Approximately, more than 30 million Americans have OSA, but only 3 million are diagnosed. Out of the 30 million Americans, 3-5% of those cases could lead to cancer. If your sleep apnea symptoms are not treated, it can lead to serious health risks, taking away much more than a peaceful slumber.
Over time the following OSA symptoms could occur:
- Chronic snoring
- Disturbed sleep
- Repeated breathing interruptions
- Irritability or personality change
- Daytime drowsiness
- Lack of concentration
- Short-term memory loss
Some of the other health risks from OSA may include:
- Sexual dysfunction
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
How can we help treat sleep apnea?
At Kopp Dental, our patient is our primary concern, and we recognize the effects sleep apnea can bring. Fortunately, the issue can be easily and completely eliminated. Depending on the sleep study’s results, you may get the recommendation to use the CPAP or Occlusal Appliance Therapy for your treatment. We treat sleep apnea for our Elmhurst patients by providing Occlusal Appliance Therapy if indicated by the sleep physician. In fact, our treatment offers a high compliance rate for many of our patients, including the elderly.
- We will work with you to ensure proper protocols for pre-screening, this can be addressed in four steps:
- We offer a complimentary sleep apnea screening test. We use the national screening test, the Epworth test, to determine your level of daytime sleepiness.
- If your pre-screening answers indicate you may have obstructive sleep apnea you will wear a VPOD ultra pulse oximeter overnight to see if you are a candidate for a sleep study.
- We will send you to a board certified sleep physician at a sleep center for an overnight or home study to determine if you have obstructive sleep apnea.
ELMHURST IL SLEEP APNEA TREATMENT
Services to the Chicagoland, Elmhurst, and Surrounding Areas.
Start reaping the benefits of a good night’s sleep by asking us about our free sleep apnea pre-screening in Elmhurst. It could save your life!